Berlin, Saturday May 15th, 2010
410 federations and associations from 21 European countries have united into a European platform (EPAW) to transmit the following demands to the European authorities:
- a moratorium suspending all wind farm projects
- a complete assessment of the economic, social, and environmental impacts of wind farms in Europe.
EPAW objects to industrial wind farms that:
- are spreading in a disorderly manner across Europe under the pressure applied by financial and ideological lobby groups, and have used the major part of public funds dedicated to renewable energies,
- are degrading the quality of life of those living in their vicinity, affecting the health of many,- are destroying Europe’s heritage, and devalue people’s properties,- are causing severe harm to wildlife,
- are making a mockery of the fundamental principles of sustainable development.
A petition for a moratorium has been sent to the European Commission and Parliament.
EPAW doesn’t want to interfere with renewable energy policies specific to each country, but we support all peaceful actions that denounce the appropriation of the countryside by wind farm developers.
In France, 675 associations joined forces in the Fédération Environnement Durable (FED), of which I am also the chairman. We are fighting together against the desecration of our country by 10,000 wind turbines.