The Tories say they’ve uncovered a plot to confuse the public about the cost of Ontario’s green energy policy.
A consulting firm – the Sussex Strategy Group – laid out plans for a $300,000 campaign in a confidential document released last month and obtained by the Opposition.
“The document shows residential rates will increase by a further 36 per cent by 2012,” Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak said on Tuesday.
“Enough of the confusion, enough of the attempts to dupe the public. Just give people the facts on where their energy bills are going to go.
“I’m calling on Dalton McGuinty to release his bill impact statements, the details of his sweatheart deal with Samsung, and his overdue long-term energy plan.”
The Premier’s office maintains it did not commission the report and say they are not connected to it in any way.
Premier Dalton McGuinty defended his green energy program at a Hamilton firm that’s partnering with China to build solar panels and create hundreds of local jobs.
“It means our electricity bills are going up. Who the heck wants that? Nobody does,” McGuinty said.
“We have to lay a foundation for new economic growth and that’s what we’re doing working together.
“It means that 300 moms and dads who have these jobs will be able to look their kids in the eye with a sense of hope and optimism about their future.”
The premier said the spending on wind and solar power accounts for only three per cent of the increase in home electricity bills.