Stantec has just released report #4, covering the 2nd half of 2010 on Wolfe Island. To read the executive summary you’d think the birds and bats were doing just fine. But, similar to reports #2 and #3, when you start digging into the numbers you find the slaughter continues, and in the case of bats, even accelerates. Stantec, being on the payroll of the project developer, is doing its best to put the best face it can on the numbers, but unfortunately that seems to include gaming them when necessary. I’ll get into specifics later, of course, but for now here’s my summary.
- Birds: 54 carcasses found, adjusted to 703, an all-time high.
- Raptors: 8 carcasses found, adjusted to 8.
- Bats: 111 carcasses found, adjusted to 1878, an all-time high.
- Winter raptor density: improved from a very poor 2009′s rate of 0.2/km to 0.7/km.
- Notifications: 8, mostly for bats, none for raptors. Read more