How to file for property devaluation with MPAC

Steps to follow to file for property tax reduction because of industrial wind turbines/substations near your home or property from MPAC (Municipal Property Assessment Corporation).

  1. In November of every year, you will receive your Property Assessment Notice from MPAC.
  2. If you have turbines or substation near your house, or if there are plans to build them near your house, you may wish to consider filing a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) with MPAC. This is a request to have have them reconsider your property tax amount.
  3. The RfR must be received by MPAC by the end of March of the following year. (If your Property Assessment Notice was received Nov./11 – you would send your RfR by the end of March/12 – MPAC needs to receive it by end of March/12)
  4. Fill in the “Request for Reconsideration” Form available on their website.
  5. Explain your reasons for reconsideration – that of course is easy, briefly explain how the turbines/substation have, in your opinion, reduced the value of your home. You may wish to describe how the turbines/sub station have affected your quality of life, your health etc. When filing out the form, also specify that your house and property value have been affected, not just your house or property. MPAC must receive this by the end of March.
  6. The form can be sent via email, fax or mail (info is on form). PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU PRINT ALL FORMS YOU FILL OUT. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP FOR YOUR RECORDS.
  7. If you send in a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) (by the end of March), you will then receive a response from MPAC probably within 2 months. This response acknowledges receipt of your Request for Reconsideration (RfR) for the property tax year you are filing for. If your RfR results in a revised property assessment, you will decide whether to accept the reduction they offer (if they do) or you may decide to file an appeal with the ARB (Assessment Review Board) – you will be asked to sign Minutes of Settlement showing your decision.

To do so, you should go to this web site or call 1-800-263-3237 to get information on how to file this appeal with ARB. There is however a time line to do so. If you choose to file an appeal with ARB you need to do so within 90 days of the date on the letter you received from MPAC – for example, if your letter is dated April 28, 2011 you must file the appeal by about July 21, 2011. Please make sure that you are appealing for the correct year when filing.

6 thoughts on “How to file for property devaluation with MPAC

  1. I would also suggest that you attach as evidence the Clarkson University property value study. Note the distance from turbines to your home and see table 9 of Clarkson for the % value loss correlated to distance. Then use local sale comps near and far from turbines for applying the diminution factor.

    All such boards require sale evidence, and not just descriptions of noise, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words, too.

  2. Municipal councils across the province, take note. Any financial gains you “think” you might make on allowing and even encouraging IWT developments will quickly look meager when hundreds, if not thousands of homeowners file a “Request for Reconsideration” and most likely will be successful.

    Take the time to file it. It is not that difficult and if your property has lost value, then you deserve to pay less. They know where to find you when you build a new garage, or build an addition to your house, so if there is devaluation that needs to be recognized too.

    • Of course the municipal councils will likely opt to increase the property tax rate to make up the difference. That would be a popular decision, right? Once again IWT’s get subsidized. Where will it end? It can end on Oct. 6!

  3. You might also want to refer to how your property has become a “bad lot” due to the intrusion of the industrial wind turbines.
    I know of an instance where during a face-to-face meeting with an MPAC staffer a few years ago (regarding different issues with a property and its assessment), after supposedly all other options had been exhausted, the MPAC staffer eventually pulled the “bad lot” term from his bag of tricks, and the assessment was (and still is) substantially decreased.

Comments are closed.