While Ontario families are struggling to make ends meet because of Dalton McGuinty’s tax grabs and skyrocketing hydro bills, today Ontario families learned they are also footing the bill for Dalton McGuinty to funnel millions to an organization – the Ontario Sustainable Energy Association – that is running ads in support of the Liberal’s re-election campaign.
The Ontario Sustainable Energy Association has received the following in taxpayers’ funds:
- $3 million for the “Community Power Fund” from then Energy Minister and Windsor-Tecumseh Liberal MPP Dwight Duncan. (Community Power Fund Press Release, September 17, 2007)
- $1.5 million from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. (National Post, August 18, 2010)
- $100,000 from the Ministry of the Environment (National Post, August 18, 2010)
- $45,000 from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Rural Economic Development Program (OSEA 2009 and 2010 Annual Reports)
- $15,000 from the Ministry of Natural Resources (OSEA 2009 Annual Report)
- Undisclosed amounts from the Ontario Power Authority, Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs, Hydro One and local distribution companies. (National Post, August 18, 2010)
Now, the Ontario Sustainable Energy Association is spending $200,000 in television advertising to promote Dalton McGuinty’s core message. (Link to Television Ads)
“On election day support those who support the green energy and economy act” (Ontario Sustainable Energy Association television advertisement)
“The green energy and economy act and the feed-in-tariff are creating jobs.” (Ontario Sustainable Energy Association television advertisement)
Sound like anyone you know?
“At the heart of the Green Energy Act is North America’s most comprehensive feed-in tariff program (FIT), which is sparking the development of renewable energy projects… In 2010, the Green Energy Act alone created 13,000 of those jobs.” (Ontario Liberal Party Campaign Website, The Ontario Way)
Dalton McGuinty and Dwight Duncan need to explain why the organization they’ve given millions of taxpayer’s money to is now funding television advertisements in support of their re-election campaign.