Link to New Guidelines
Link to Environmental Registry Announcement
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has announced changes to the Birds and Bird Habitats: Guidelines for Wind Power Projects as follows:
- The threshold for bird mortality has been lowered to 14 birds/ turbine/ year (from 18 birds), to reflect the upper range of bird mortality at wind power facilities in Ontario. The threshold contained in the Draft Guideline was proposed based on the range of bird mortality at wind power facilities in North America.
- Information on Important Bird Areas (IBAs), including their importance and their link to significant wildlife habitats, has been added to the guide.
- Monitoring methods for evaluating bird significant wildlife habitat and post-construction mortality monitoring have been revised to reflect public/industry comments and scientific recommendations.
- Data submission procedures related to the Wind Energy Bird and Bat Monitoring Database has been detailed.
- Ecological Effectiveness Monitoring Plan information requirements have been updated to reflect the Ministry of the Environment’s Renewable Energy Approval Regulation amendments of January 2011.