UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO- Quality of Life and Renewable Energy Technologies Study
Some examples from this survey:
How well do the following statements describe your view of renewable energy technologies in Ontario?
1. Ontarians have an obligation to reduce energy consumption.
2. Ontarians have an obligation to generate cleaner electricity.
3. Building wind farms to produce energy is acceptable if they are situated far away from homes.
4. Building biogas plants to produce energy is acceptable if they are situated far away from homes.
5. Building solar farms to produce energy is acceptable if they are situated far away from homes.
6. Wind farms should be owned by people in the community.
7. Biogas plants should be owned by people in the community.
In your opinion, what is an appropriate setback (minimum distance from the closest home) for wind farms in Ontario?
_____ metres OR _____ miles _ I don’t know _ I don’t care
The most recent time you looked for information about energies (such as wind turbines, solar, biogas) and health, where did you go to first? (check only one in this box)
_ Brochures, Pamphlets, etc
_ Community association
_ Telephone Information Number
_ Doctor/Health care provider
_ I don’t know
_ I’ve never looked for such information
_ Other (please specify): _____
In general, how much would you trust information about renewable energies (such as wind turbines, solar, biogas) and health...
41. From a doctor or another health care professional?
42. From government health agencies?*
43. From a family member or friend or neighbor? (sic)
44. From newspapers or magazines?
45. From the television?
46. From the internet?
47. From community organizations?
48. Other (please specify):
The following statements about some things in your community that you may notice when you are indoors. Please indicate whether you have noticed these and whether they annoy you only when you are indoors in your home. Pick N/A if you don’t live near or have any chance to have contact with the exposure.
1. Odour from industries.
2. Odour from manure.
3. Flies and/or gnats.
4. Flicker from wind turbines
5. Vibrations from a railway
6. Vibrations from wind turbines
7. Sound from agricultural machinery
8. Sound from airplanes
Read Full Survey