City of Ottawa can’t stop wind farms: Chiarelli

ChiarelliOttawa Sun
Municipalities won’t have veto powers over the locations of new industrial wind farms, Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli said Wednesday. “The bottom line is it will be very difficult for an energy proponent to be successful in the type of (request for proposals) that’s being created, without a significant municipal engagement,” Chiarelli said.

However, city council can’t unilaterally block a wind farm from coming into the area. “We said that very, very clearly. There is no veto because there are circumstances in the energy planning of Ontario where a veto might be totally inadvisable, but the general thrust is that there must be an engagement with the local municipality,” Chiarelli said.

Companies bidding on wind energy projects will score big points in the tendering process if they have the support of municipalities. Chiarelli, the MPP for Ottawa West-Nepean, said the Ontario Power Authority is consulting on the “significant engagement that municipalities will have in renewable energy siting projects.” Read article

13 thoughts on “City of Ottawa can’t stop wind farms: Chiarelli

  1. Chiarelli deserves prison for his part in this scam, as well as the rest of the LibNDP miscreants, that have allowed this to happen.

  2. This wind turbine situation has just gotten out of hand to say the least!!! lets face it if Ontario wanted to run the entire province with wind turbines we wouldn’t be able to walk around – and while everybody is at it!! where is the cost savings!!!!??????? – there is talk now of our hydro going up – what a joke of a province!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Talk of our hydro going up – it’s just gone up 7%this month thats about 21% in the last 12mths . OPG who hasn’t had a rate increase in 5yrs has applied for a raise.The OEB hearings are sometimes next year – OPG are the only generator that has to apply to the OEB for a raise.They generate about 60% of our power – so the other 40% gets the 21%
      and guess who most of the other is.

      • And remember there is an application to increase distribution charges on Jan 1. This will never end.

  3. What planning? Enery policy is being dictated by the “green” gentry who run Ontario thru their connections.

  4. Chiarelli and Wynne have positioned themselves into a irreconcilable position, no turbines without community support, yet no municipal veto. This community has voiced its wishes clearly, 1200 residents signed a No turbines petition. If Wynne and Chiarelli proceed after this, it will show their words and promises are meaningless.

  5. Hey Mr. Chiarelli – the world is watching
    Ontario’s Energy Portfolio.

    p.s. it’s a sick – joke!

  6. The bottom line is – measuring – significance.

    ‘[excerpt] “The bottom line is it will be very difficult for an energy proponent to be successful in the type of (request for proposals) that’s being created, without a significant municipal engagement,” Chiarelli said.

    And –
    significant measurement includes – for the record –
    a ‘1200 resident – No Turbines – signed petition’ –
    and – represents the will of the people.

    Hello council members!
    and, that’s the bottom line – Mr. Chiarelli.

  7. Rewire, Nov.14,2013
    “funnel effects” and solar panels.
    Light from solar panels attracts insects and in turn birds and bats which in turn attracts larger birds that prey on the smaller birds.
    This “funnel effect in itself is already known but when it comes to large solar projects it can have quite an effect on wildlife.
    http://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/commentary/usfws-mysterious-funnel-effect-harming-wildlife-at-unnamed-solar-plant.html
    How do you mitigate this situation?

  8. I watched the so called powers that be take down an ACTIVE Eagles’ Nest in the Selkirk area!!! – these people do not are about the wildlife or the people within these communities!!

  9. My new job!
    Mr. Chiarelli – Christmas Party Planner…………

    ‘[excerpt] Chiarelli, the MPP for Ottawa West-Nepean, said the Ontario Power Authority is consulting on the “significant engagement that municipalities will have in renewable energy siting projects.”’

    Ontario Power Authority – requests your booze list.

Leave a Reply to Free Thinker Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *