London Free Press, John Miner
The competition for the next round of green energy contracts in Ontario turned out to be as fierce as forecast.
Although there was a relatively moderate amount of power to be contracted under a new bidding system, a total of 103 projects have been submitted to Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator. “Our target is to notify successful applicants and offer contracts by the end of the year,” a spokesperson for IESO said Friday.
Though Southwestern Ontario has been heavily targeted for wind and solar farm development in the past with large stretches along Lake Huron and Erie now developed, most of the proposals this time are for eastern and northern Ontario. Part of two of the wind farm projects would be located in Middlesex County.
Up for grabs in this round of contracts is a total of 300 megawatts of wind energy, 140 megawatts of solar, 50 megawatts of bioenergy and 75 megawatts of water power. The companies submitting the bids were required to consult with local communities about their plans before the Sept. 1 deadline.
Projects proposed for Southwestern Ontario
- Erie Shores Wind Farm 2, Capstone Infrastructure Corporation, 70-megawatt project in the Township of Malahide and Municipality of Bayham
- Strong Breeze Wind Project, Invenergy LLC, 60-megawatt project in Dutton-Dunwich
- Elgin Wind Project, Renewable Energy Systems Canada Inc,, 26-megawatt project in West Elgin and Chatham-Kent
- Hardy Creek Wind Energy Centre, NextEra Canada, 100 megawatts in the townships of Adelaide Metcalfe, Warwick and the Municipality of Brooke-Alvinston
- Romney Wind Energy Centre, EDF EN Canada Development Inc., 100-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent, Town of Lakeshore, and Leamington
- Blue Sky, GDF Suez Canada Inc., 60-megawatt project in the towns of Essex and Tecumseh
- Optima Wind Project, Kruger Energy Inc., 38.4 megawatts in Chatham-Kent
- Otter Creek Wind Farm, Renewable Energy Systems Canada Inc., 50-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent
- North Kent Wind 2, Samsung C&T Corporation, 100-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent
- Nauvoo Wind Power Project, Suncor Energy Products Inc., 75-megawatt project in the townships of Adelaide-Metcalfe, Warwick and Brooke-Alvinston
- Clachan Wind Farm, SWEB Development Limited Partnership, 14-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent
- Duart Wind Farm, SWEB Development Limited Partnership, 9-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent
- Meadowvale Wind Farm, SWEB Development Limited Partnership, 15-megawatt project in Chatham-Kent