Norman DeBono, London Free Press
Contempt charges levelled by the Progressive Conservative party against Chris Bentley will not follow him into private life, the Tory energy critic said Friday after the London West MPP’s surprise resignation announcement. The Conservatives have charged Bentley with contempt, saying as Energy Minister he didn’t release all documents pertaining to cancellation of new energy plants in Liberal ridings in Oakville and Mississauga before the last election.
Bentley announced Friday he is resigning his seat effective Feb. 14. That means his successor will face the charges, not Bentley, said Victor Fedeli, Tory MPP for Nipissing. “We’re going ahead with the charges against the minister, not him personally,” he said. “It’s the position that is charged, not the individual.”
Bentley didn’t address the power plant issue specifically during his news conference Friday at the former Normal School, but he did talk about some of the challenges he faced in nearly a decade as an MPP and cabinet minister. “There have been many challenging issues I have confronted over the past 9½ years, some in the last year,” he said. “Not every day is as bright as you hope it will be . . . I have confronted challenges just as I confronted opportunities, with determination to find a resolution for those I serve.” Read article